-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
New EU commission to get all clear with big push on defence and economy
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen warned Wednesday that Europe has "no time to waste" to boost its defences and competitiveness, as European lawmakers prepared to greenlight her new executive to start work.
Addressing parliamentarians in Strasbourg, von der Leyen said her team was ready to get to work immediately on rising to the bloc's mounting challenges -- most urgently the Ukraine war "raging at Europe's borders".
Appealing for a massive defence spending boost, she said, "We have no time to waste. And we must be as ambitious as the threats are serious."
From Russia's invasion of Ukraine to war in the Middle East, the mounting economic threat from China and the imminent return of Donald Trump to the White House, the European Union has its hands full.
"Our freedom and sovereignty depend more than ever on our economic strength. Our security depends on our ability to compete, innovate and produce," von der Leyen told lawmakers.
Ensuring a swift handover at the helm of the 27-nation bloc after European elections in June is seen as critical.
The new team should formally start its mandate on Sunday, after several of the main groups in parliament reached a deal to back it.
Right, centrist and centre-left groups last week agreed to vote in the new 27-member commission as a whole, skippered by Germany's von der Leyen, 66, for a second term.
That came after all nominees put forward by member states were -- for the first time in decades -- cleared individually, though only after a bout of political horse-trading.
Parliament has previously used the process to flex its muscles and turn down some candidates.
- Weapons and tariffs -
The top roles in the new commission speak of the priorities for the next five years.
Estonia's ex-premier Kaja Kallas is to take over the reins as the bloc's top diplomat, while Lithuania's Andrius Kubilius landed a new role overseeing the EU's push to rearm.
Both are hawkish Russia critics.
The EU must swiftly increase defence spending to rival Russian levels, von der Leyen said Wednesday, noting there was "something wrong" when Moscow is spending up to nine percent of GDP on defence against the EU's 1.9 percent.
She has previously said the bloc needs to invest 500 billion euros ($526 billion) on defence over the next decade if it wants to keep up with Russia and China.
This has become more urgent since Trump was re-elected this month, amid fears he might reduce the US commitment to European security and support for Ukraine.
Similarly, trade policy -- under Maros Sefcovic of Slovakia, a seasoned Brussels operative -- has shot up the agenda as the bloc will contend with a tariff-loving US president who could push for the EU to buy more American products or face higher duties.
Stephane Sejourne of France is to take charge of industrial strategy at a time when Europe's manufacturing sector is struggling amid competition from China, high energy costs and weak investments.
The former French foreign minister will have to work hand-in-hand with Spain's Teresa Ribera, the new competition and green transition chief, to reconcile economic growth with climate ambitions.
- 'Hands-on' chief -
Front and centre, however, will be von der Leyen.
The former German defence minister has significantly "strengthened her power and her profile as a political actor" over the past five years, said Luigi Scazzieri of the Centre for European Reform think tank.
She has weeded out commissioners she didn't see eye to eye with, like France's Thierry Breton, and benefited from a political alignment that has seen countries fill her new team with fellow conservatives.
In her first term, she also pushed back the boundaries of what the EU can and is expected to do -- something observers say may come in handy in the future.
Under her leadership, the commission shepherded efforts to purchase Covid-19 vaccines, use joint borrowing to finance post-pandemic economic recovery, ship weapons to Ukraine and wean Europe off Russian gas.
The incoming commission "is facing more threats", Ylva Johansson, the outgoing commissioner for home affairs said, noting the geopolitical environment has changed dramatically since 2019.
But the EU's executive is now "much more operational than five years ago", she said.
"That is also thanks to the personality of Ursula von der Leyen -- because she's very hands-on."
R.Veloso--PC