-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Car-centric Saudi to open first part of Riyadh Metro
Saudi Arabia announced Wednesday it is ready to open the first part of the Riyadh Metro, a major project intended to help shift the car-centric kingdom to public transport.
Three lines will open to the public on December 1, "with gradual launches completing the six-line, 176-kilometre (109 mile) network across the city," the Royal Commission for Riyadh City said in a statement.
"The network has been developed to transport over 3.6 million passengers at maximum capacity and operates on a fully automated (driverless) metro system," the statement said.
Services will be provided by 183 trains with 448 carriages manufactured by Siemens of Germany, Bombardier of Canada and Alstom of France, the statement said, adding that they feature "a modern and unified design" by French firm Avant Premiere.
The official Saudi Press Agency published a photograph of King Salman, who served as governor of Riyadh for nearly half a century, formally declaring that the project -- billed as "the backbone of the capital's public transportation network" -- had been inaugurated.
Riyadh, a fast-growing city of around eight million people, has become a laboratory for various signature projects under the Vision 2030 reform agenda of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, King Salman's son and the de facto ruler.
These include theme parks, sports stadiums, tourist attractions showcasing Saudi history and office towers meant to house companies establishing regional headquarters in the kingdom -- a requirement for securing government contracts.
But while the city is developing an extensive bus network, cars remain by far the most common means of transport, especially in the summer months when temperatures can reach 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit).
Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest exporter of crude oil, though Vision 2030 is intended to transition the kingdom away from fossil fuels.
Saudi Arabia has pledged to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2060, and the Royal Commission for Riyadh City said the metro highlighted the government's commitment to sustainable development.
"Aligning with global sustainability standards and smart sustainable solutions, the network integrates environmental practices, featuring stations constructed with 20% recycled materials and local resources, and engineered to lower energy and water usage," it said.
E.Borba--PC