-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
Canal blast sparks new stand-off between Kosovo and Serbia
A blast on a canal vital to Kosovo's water and power supplies has sparked a war of words with Serbia, with fears it could further escalate tensions between the two Balkan nations.
The explosion late Friday punched a hole in a canal providing water to hundreds of thousands of people and the cooling systems at two coal-fired power plants that generate most of Kosovo's electricity.
Kosovo's Prime Minister Albin Kurti immediately pointed the finger at arch-rival Serbia, calling the incident a "terrorist attack".
He went on to say that Belgrade was copyping the Russian "playbook" in Ukraine, trying to knock out power and heating in Kosovo during the frigid winter months.
"This is the reason why we raise the alarm over Russia's alliance with Serbia," said Kurti, as he highlighted the alleged seizure of Russian and Serbian military insignia during follow-up raids.
Serbia has been quick to hit back, with officials denying responsibility and saying the incident would be used as a pretext by the Pristina government to crack down on Serbs living in Kosovo.
Serbia and Kosovo, which has a large ethnic Albanian majority, have been at loggerheads since the end of a war in the late 1990s between Belgrade's forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in what was then a province of Serbia.
Serbia has never recognised Kosovo's 2008 declaration of independence.
But tensions have been particularly high over the last year, centred on the fate of Kosovo's Serbian minority.
- 'Sophisticated' sabotage -
"If an investigation concludes Serbia's involvement, Kosovo may interpret it as an act of war, escalating tensions dramatically," Shpetim Gashi, an independent analyst based in Pristina, told AFP.
Others have said that the nature of the blast in Kosovo's restive north -- home to many of its ethnic Serbs -- points to a level of sophistication that would rule out amateur sabotage.
"Considering how much police presence and control there has been in the north, this suggests some level of sophisticated organisation," said political analyst Agon Maliqi.
"The targeting of critical infrastructure suggests awareness of large scale systemic impact," he added.
Observers have urged caution until an investigation provides definitive evidence identifying a culprit.
Jeffrey Hovenier, the US ambassador to Kosovo, said Monday that Washington was "not in a position to say who is behind the attack".
"It's early on and these things require careful investigation," he added.
The attack on the canal comes just months ahead of parliamentary elections in Kosovo, with Kurti hoping his hardline policies targeting Serbia will secure him another term.
Since taking office in 2021, Kurti has overseen wide-ranging moves to dismantle the parallel system backed by Belgrade to provide social and political services to Kosovo's Serbs -- including banning Serbia's currency, car licence plates, and closing its post offices and banks.
The policies have been regularly slammed by Belgrade, but also by Kosovo's closest diplomatic partners in the US and Europe, who have accused Kurti of recklessly escalating regional tensions.
"This was an opportunity for [Kurti] to highlight that the north is not fully under Kosovo's control," said Ognjen Gogic, a Belgrade-based political scientist.
"He can justify deploying the Kosovo Security Force to the north."
- 'Political boost' -
Meanwhile in Serbia, the explosion could be seen as a welcome distraction for those in power after a fresh wave of domestic discontent, analysts said.
President Aleksandar Vucic has faced a string of protests after 15 people died when a concrete roof collapsed at Novi Sad's train station on November 1.
Public outrage at the tragedy has sparked nationwide demonstrations, with many blaming the deaths on systemic corruption.
With both sides potentially benefiting from a new crisis, "the immediate impact is that security tensions return to the forefront of the agenda in both Kosovo and Serbia, giving a political boost to both leaders," said Maliqi.
L.Henrique--PC