-
Brignone leads charge of veteran women as Italy celebrates record Olympic haul
-
Sri Lanka's Nissanka leaves Australia on brink of T20 World Cup exit
-
England match-winner Jacks proud, confident heading into Super Eights
-
St Peter's Basilica gets terrace cafe, translated mass for 400th birthday
-
Meillard hails Swiss 'golden era' after slalom win caps Olympic domination
-
Sri Lanka fight back after strong start by Australia's Marsh, Head
-
Kovac calls on Dortmund to carry domestic 'momentum' into Champions League
-
Dutch inventor of hit game 'Kapla' dead at 80: family
-
Benfica's Mourinho plays down Real Madrid return rumour before rematch
-
St Peter's Basilica gets terrace cafe for 400th anniversary
-
Meillard extends Swiss Olympic strangehold while Gu aims for gold
-
Meillard crowns Swiss men's Olympic domination with slalom gold
-
German carnival revellers take swipes at Putin, Trump, Epstein
-
England survive Italy scare to reach T20 World Cup Super Eights
-
Gold rush grips South African township
-
'Tehran' TV series producer Dana Eden found dead in Athens
-
Iran FM in Geneva for US talks, as Guards begin drills in Hormuz Strait
-
AI chatbots to face UK safety rules after outcry over Grok
-
Sakamoto fights fatigue, Japanese rivals and US skaters for Olympic women's gold
-
'Your success is our success,' Rubio tells Orban ahead of Hungary polls
-
Spain unveils public investment fund to tackle housing crisis
-
African diaspora's plural identities on screen in Berlin
-
Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage
-
German carnival revellers take sidesweep at Putin, Trump, Epstein
-
Killing of far-right activist stokes tensions in France
-
Record Jacks fifty carries England to 202-7 in must-win Italy match
-
European stocks, dollar up in subdued start to week
-
African players in Europe: Salah hailed after Liverpool FA Cup win
-
Taiwan's cycling 'missionary', Giant founder King Liu, dies at 91
-
Kyrgyzstan president fires ministers, consolidates power ahead of election
-
McGrath tops Olympic slalom times but Braathen out
-
Greenland's west coast posts warmest January on record
-
South Africa into Super Eights without playing as Afghanistan beat UAE
-
Madagascar cyclone death toll rises to 59
-
ByteDance vows to boost safeguards after AI model infringement claims
-
Smith added to Australia T20 squad, in line for Sri Lanka crunch
-
Australian museum recovers Egyptian artefacts after break-in
-
India forced to defend US trade deal as doubts mount
-
Bitter pill: Taliban govt shakes up Afghan medicine market
-
Crunch time for Real Madrid's Mbappe-Vinicius partnership
-
Rio Carnival parades kick off with divisive ode to Lula in election year
-
Nepal 'addicted' to the trade in its own people
-
Asian markets sluggish as Lunar New Year holiday looms
-
'Pure extortion': foreign workers face violence and exploitation in Croatia
-
Nepal launches campaigns for first post-uprising polls
-
What to know as South Korea ex-president Yoon faces insurrection verdict
-
'Train Dreams,' 'The Secret Agent' nab Spirit wins to boost Oscars campaigns
-
Rubio visits Trump's 'friend' Orban ahead of Hungary polls
-
Kim unveils housing block for North Korean troops killed aiding Russia: KCNA
-
Accused Bondi killer Naveed Akram appears in court by video link
Iran says US 'more realistic' on nuclear issue, as Guards begin drills in Hormuz Strait
Iran said on Monday that the United States's position on Iran's nuclear programme "has moved towards a more realistic one", a day ahead of a second round of US-Iranian talks in Geneva.
Tehran's foreign minister arrived in Geneva for the new round of indirect negotiations with the US, as the Revolutionary Guards began military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping lane for oil and gas.
The two sides recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman, after US President Donald Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month.
A previous attempt at negotiations collapsed when Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran, beginning a 12-day war that Washington briefly joined to bomb Iranian nuclear sites.
"A cautious assessment is that, from the discussions that have taken place in Muscat to date, at least what we have been told is that the US position on the Iranian nuclear issue has moved towards a more realistic one," said foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei, the official IRNA news agency reported.
According to Tehran, talks mediated by Oman will be held on Tuesday in Switzerland.
Washington has previously pushed for other topics to be discussed including Iran's ballistic missiles and support for armed groups in the region.
The war games being conducted by the Guards, the ideological arm of the military, aim to prepare it for "potential security and military threats" in the strait, Iranian state TV said.
Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a strategic waterway through which about 20 percent of global oil passes, as both sides ramp up pressure with talks set to resume.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Monday "we're hopeful there's a deal".
"The president always prefers peaceful outcomes and negotiated outcomes to things."
Meanwhile, Iran's top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, wrote on X that he was meeting in Geneva with the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, "for deep technical discussion".
Grossi later confirmed the meeting on X, calling the conversation with Araghchi "in-depth" ahead of Tuesday's "important negotiations".
- Protest crackdown -
Araghchi is also set to hold talks with his Swiss and Omani counterparts as well as other international officials, Iran's foreign ministry said.
"I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats," Araghchi added on X.
Washington has dispatched Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, the White House confirmed on Sunday.
The latest talks follow repeated threats from Trump of military action against Tehran, first over Iran's deadly crackdown on anti-government protests, and then more recently over the country's nuclear programme.
The West fears the programme is aimed at making a bomb, which Tehran denies.
On Friday, Trump said a change of government in Iran would be the "best thing that could happen", as he sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East to ratchet up military pressure.
His remarks came before demonstrations outside Iran against its clerical authorities swept a number of cities including in the US over the weekend.
Iranians inside the country have also defied the deadly crackdown on protests last month and continued to shout slogans against the authorities from their windows.
- 'Viable' deal -
Iran's deputy foreign minister told the BBC that Tehran would consider compromises on its uranium stockpile if Washington lifts sanctions that have crippled the country's economy.
"If we see the sincerity on their (American) part, I am sure we will be on a road to have an agreement," said Majid Takht-Ravanchi.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that any deal must involve the removal of all enriched uranium from Iran as well as Tehran's ability to enrich more.
The whereabouts of Iran's stockpile of around 400 kilogrammes of uranium enriched to 60 percent remains unknown, with inspectors having last seen it in June.
E.Borba--PC