-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Race to find port for cruise ship battling deadly rodent virus
Health authorities raced Tuesday to find a port for a cruise ship battling a hantavirus outbreak, as it remained off the West African coast with passengers isolating after three people died.
The World Health Organization said the MV Hondius could head from Cape Verde to Spain's Canary Islands, though Spanish authorities said they wanted health data from the expedition vessel before opening up a port.
The ship had been on an adventure cruise from Ushuaia in Argentina to Cape Verde off west Africa. It has been at the centre of an international alert since Saturday after it was revealed that the rare disease -- spread from infected rodents typically through urine, droppings and saliva -- was suspected in three deaths.
The priority now is to evacuate two sick crew members who require urgent care -- potentially to the Netherlands -- and "then the ship can move", WHO epidemic and pandemic preparedness and prevention director Maria Van Kerkhove said in Geneva.
So far, two hantavirus cases have been confirmed -- including in one of the fatalities -- with five further suspected cases among the 147 passengers and crew, the WHO said.
Three of those seven have died, one was critically ill and three had reported milder symptoms, including one who is now asymptomatic, it said.
One of the dead, a Dutch woman, had left the ship at the Atlantic island of Saint Helena and had flown to Johannesburg where she died on April 26. The WHO said it was trying to contact people who were on the same flight.
Passengers and crew have meanwhile been in isolation on the MV Hondius, operated by Dutch company Oceanwide Expeditions, after Cape Verde authorities barred it from docking.
- Human-to-human transmission? -
According to Van Kerkhove, Spanish authorities had "said that they will welcome the ship to do... a full epidemiologic investigation". They would also conduct a "full disinfection of the ship and... assess the risk of the passengers."
Spain's health ministry said that a decision on where to send the vessel would be based "on the epidemiological data collected from the ship during its stopover in Cape Verde". The Canary Islands government said it wanted the ship sent to mainland Spain.
Passengers from Britain, Spain and the United States, as well as crew largely from the Philippines, were among 23 nationalities on the MV Hondius.
The WHO was scrambling for answers about how hantavirus had appeared on the ship, which set off from from Ushuaia on April 1.
The first person who died developed symptoms on April 6, according to the UN health agency which said it was alerted on Saturday.
Human-to-human transmission has only been reported in previous outbreaks of one specific hantavirus called Andes virus, which circulates in South America.
Van Kerkhove said the virus species had yet to be confirmed, but highlighted that WHO had been told "there are no rats on board" the ship.
South African researchers were working sequencing the data, said Van Kerkhove, who added that "our working assumption is that it is the Andes virus".
"We do believe that there may be some human-to-human transmission that is happening among the really close contacts".
- Contact tracing -
The first two people to die were a Dutch couple -- a man who died on April 11 and his wife who died after she disembarked in Saint Helena to accompany his body.
The wife was suffering from "gastrointestinal symptoms" and "deteriorated" during a flight to Johannesburg on April 25, the WHO said. She died the following day.
Van Kerkhove said contact tracing had been initiated for people on the flight. She stressed that human-to-human transmission typically only happened "among very close contacts".
The ship's operator said a British passenger was in intensive care in Johannesburg. The two crew still on board -- one British and one Dutch -- needed urgent care, WHO said.
Van Kerkhove said the typical incubation period for the hantavirus was between one and six weeks, leading the WHO to believe that the Dutch couple, who had been travelling in South America, "were infected off the ship".
The Hondius, she highlighted, was an expedition vessel, with passengers going ashore on Atlantic islands to do birdwatching and other activities -- meaning there could be "some source of infection on the islands".
The WHO has said the risk to the global population from the outbreak is "low".
L.Henrique--PC