
-
Youthful Matildas provide spark in friendly win over South Korea
-
De Bruyne says he will leave Man City at end of season
-
UK spy agency MI5 reveals fruity secrets in new show
-
Leverkusen's Wirtz to return 'next week', says Alonso
-
England bowler Stone to miss most of India Test series
-
Taiwan earmarks $2.7 bn to help industries hit by US tariffs
-
Rat earns world record for sniffing landmines in Cambodia
-
Elton John says new album 'freshest' since 1970s
-
EU announces 'new era' in relations with Central Asia
-
Greece nixes Acropolis shoot for 'Poor Things' director
-
'Historic moment': South Koreans react to Yoon's dismissal
-
Israel kills Hamas commander in Lebanon strike
-
Trump unveils first $5 million 'gold card' visa
-
India and Bangladesh leaders meet for first time since revolution
-
Israel expands ground offensive in Gaza
-
Families of Duterte drug war victims demand probe into online threats
-
Kolkata's Iyer more bothered about impact than price tag
-
BP chairman to step down after energy strategy reset
-
Indian patriotic movie 'icon' Manoj Kumar dies aged 87
-
China floats battle barges in Taiwan invasion plans
-
McLaren's Piastri fastest in chaotic second Japanese GP practice
-
South Korea seize two tons of cocaine in largest-ever drug bust
-
Pacific nations perplexed, worried by Trump tariffs
-
The race to save the Amazon's bushy-bearded monkeys
-
Trump tariffs to test resiliency of US consumers
-
Clamping down on 'forever chemicals'
-
Prominent US academic facing royal insult charge in Thailand
-
Yana, a 130,000-year-old baby mammoth, goes under the scalpel
-
'Don't want to die': Lesotho HIV patients look to traditional medicine
-
Curry scores 37 as Warriors outgun LeBron's Lakers
-
Crops under threat as surprise March heatwave hits Central Asia: study
-
Japan PM says Trump tariffs a 'national crisis'
-
Security 'breakdown' allows armed men into Melbourne's MCG
-
Norris fastest in Japan GP first practice, Tsunoda sixth on Red Bull debut
-
Albon says Thailand taking bid for F1 race 'very seriously'
-
'It's gone': conservation science in Thailand's burning forest
-
Protest as quake-hit Myanmar junta chief joins Bangkok summit
-
EU leaders push for influence at Central Asia summit
-
Asian stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
Lewandowski, Mbappe duel fuelling tight La Liga title race
-
Liverpool march towards title as Man City face Man Utd
-
Finland's colossal bomb shelters a model for jittery Europe
-
Athletes frustrated as France mulls Muslim headscarf ban in sport
-
Korda downs Kupcho to stay alive at LPGA Match Play
-
German industry grapples with AI at trade fair
-
Irish school trains thatchers to save iconic roofs
-
'Frightening': US restaurants, producers face tariff whiplash
-
Cuba looks to sun to solve its energy crisis
-
Experts warn 'AI-written' paper is latest spin on climate change denial
-
PSG eye becoming France's first 'Invincibles'

Telenor Myanmar sale challenged over data leak fears
The proposed sale of Norwegian telecoms giant Telenor's Myanmar subsidiary could put sensitive personal data of millions of customers into the hands of the junta, according to a complaint filed on Tuesday.
Myanmar has been in chaos since a coup last year sparked huge protests and a bloody military crackdown on dissent.
Telenor announced in July that it planned to sell its subsidiary Telenor Myanmar and later cited junta demands that it install monitoring equipment on the network as a reason for leaving the country.
A proposed sale to Lebanese financial company M1 Group and a consortium headed by a figure close to the ruling junta has been approved by the military, according to local media reports.
But a Myanmar citizen has filed a complaint with Norway's Data Protection Authority, arguing the sale would result in a "dangerous transfer of control over sensitive user data" of more than 18 million Telenor customers.
Any sale would breach EU privacy rules (GDPR), the complaint argues, asking the body to investigate and ensure any sale would not infringe the data rights of those affected.
The complaint claims customers' names, addresses, phone numbers, national registration card details, messages and call histories are held by Telenor.
Activist groups say any new owner could comply with future requests from the junta to provide cellphone data.
In Oslo, the parent company Telenor, which is majority-owned by the Norwegian state, argued that the Burmese authorities require operators to keep this data "for several years" and that deleting it would be "in breach of the telecoms licence, which is a prerequisite to run telecoms operations in the country".
"Violating or not complying with local regulations under the existing legal framework would have severe and completely unacceptable consequences for our employees," Gry Rohde Nordhus, Head of Telenor communications, told AFP.
Nordhus added that since Telenor did not "exert any control on the handling of customer data by Telenor Myanmar," GDPR did not apply to customer data there.
The Norwegian Data Protection Authority also confirmed it had received the complaint.
"We examine all complaints that we receive as a general rule, and will therefore open a case based on the information we have received," spokeswoman Guro Skaltveit wrote in an email to AFP.
Telenor -- part-owned by the Norwegian government -- has had a commercial presence in Myanmar since 2014.
In July, 474 civil society groups in the country called Telenor's decision to pull out irresponsible, saying it had not sufficiently considered the impact of the move on human rights.
More than 1,500 people have been killed by security forces and over 11,000 arrested since the coup, according to a local monitoring group.
F.Carias--PC