-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
Tsitsipas breezes past Djere in Monte Carlo
Titleholder Stefanos Tsitsipas reached the Monte Carlo Masters quarter-finals on Thursday by beating Serbian Laslo Djere in straight sets 7-5, 7-6 (7/1).
Tsitsipas -- the world number five -- will play either Diego Schwartzman of Argentina or Italy's Lorenzo Musetti in Friday's semi-finals.
"I had to put in a very good performance," said Tsitsipas, who lost in five sets to Novak Djokovic in the French Open final last year.
"Laslo did not hand me victory, but I tried to stay 100 percent focused.
"The tie break was pivotal and I am delighted to have produced that level of tennis," added the 23-year-old Greek.
Tsitsipas was joined in the last eight by Indian Wells champion Taylor Fritz, who saw off his doubles partner Sebastian Korda, the conqueror of recent Miami victor Carlos Alcaraz in the previous round.
Incredibly it is the first time two Americans had reached the third round of the tournament since eventual finalist Jimmy Arias and Aaron Krickstein did in 1987.
"It's crazy really, I have reached the quarter-finals in four of the last five Masters tournaments," said the 13th-ranked Fritz.
"If I had been luckier in Miami I could have been five from five.
"I am in a good place at the moment. I seem to be improving all the time."
Fritz will play last year's quarter-finalist Alejandro Davidovich, the Spaniard who in the previous round knocked out world number one Djokovic. He progressed by beating the experienced Belgian David Goffin 6-4, 6-1 on Thursday.
"I carried the emotion of beating Djokovic into this match," said Davidovich.
"I knew it would be a tough game as David won in Marrakech last weekend.
"However, he appeared more tired than I was and I am delighted to have reached the quarter-finals."
There was an upset though as Norway's fourth-seed Casper Ruud followed Djokovic and Alcaraz out of the tournament.
The Miami finalist was beaten by the talented but inconsistent Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria, 6-3, 7-5.
R.Veloso--PC