-
Jake Paul requires second jaw surgery after Joshua knockout
-
'Boldly headbang': Star Trek's Shatner, 94, unveils metal album
-
Marseille lose first Ligue 1 game of Beye era
-
Police battle opposition protesters in Albanian capital
-
Austria snowstorm leaves five dead, road and power chaos
-
Trump unleashes personal assault on 'disloyal' Supreme Court justices
-
'Not the end': Small US firms wary but hopeful on tariff upheaval
-
US freestyle skier Ferreira wins Olympic halfpipe gold
-
Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai
-
'Proud' Alcaraz digs deep to topple Rublev and reach Qatar final
-
UK govt considers removing ex-prince Andrew from line of succession
-
New study probes why chronic pain lasts longer in women
-
Trump vows 10% global tariff after stinging court rebuke
-
Aston Martin in disarray as Leclerc tops F1 testing timesheets
-
Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card
-
Anxious Venezuelans seek clarity on new amnesty law
-
Last-gasp Canada edge Finland to reach Olympic men's ice hockey final
-
Scotland captain Tuipulotu grateful for Wales boss Tandy's influence
-
Zelensky says no 'family day' in rare personal interview to AFP
-
Zelensky tells AFP that Ukraine is not losing the war
-
Sweden to play Switzerland in Olympic women's curling final
-
Counting the cost: Minnesota reels after anti-migrant 'occupation'
-
UK police probe Andrew's protection as royals reel from ex-prince's arrest
-
Doris says Ireland must pile pressure on England rising star Pollock
-
US military assets in the Middle East
-
Neymar hints at possible retirement after World Cup
-
Stocks rise after court ruling against US tariffs
-
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
-
Olympics chief says Milan-Cortina has set new path for Games
-
Russian SVR spy agency took over Wagner 'influence' ops in Africa: report
-
Pegula fights back to sink Anisimova and reach Dubai final
-
Trump administration denounces 'terrorism' in France after activist's killing
-
Colombia's Medellin builds mega-prison inspired by El Salvador's CECOT
-
German broadcaster recalls correspondent over AI-generated images
-
US Supreme Court strikes down swath of Trump global tariffs
-
England's Itoje says managing 'emotional turmoil' key to 100 cap landmark
-
Trump says weighing strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal coming soon
-
Tudor is '100 percent' certain of saving Spurs from relegation
-
Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
-
Stocks volatile after soft US growth data, court ruling against tariffs
-
Italy bring back Capuozzo for France Six Nations trip
-
From Malinin's collapse to Liu's triumph: Top Olympic figure skating moments
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'write own destiny' after title wobble
-
Ukraine Paralympics team to boycott opening ceremony over Russian flag decision
-
Wales captain Lake wants fans to bring 'noise' against Scotland
-
Skier Vonn's Italian hospital a hotbed of men, sister says
-
India target S.Africa top order, Abhishek to come good: bowling coach
-
Carrick praises Man Utd 'diversity' after Ratcliffe's immigrant rant
-
I never thought it would be hit, says 'Scream' creator 30 years later
-
AI summit statement delayed to 'maximise' signatories: India
Bublik credits Las Vegas bender after securing French Open last 16 berth
Alexander Bublik credited a trip to Las Vegas with helping him overcome burn-out as the Kazakh advanced to the fourth round of the French Open on Saturday.
Russian-born Bublik eased past Portugal's Henrique Rocha 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 to reach the final 16 in Paris for the first time on his seventh attempt, and next meets British fifth seed Jack Draper.
Bublik reached a career-high of 17 in the rankings last year but had dropped as low as 82 by March 2025, blaming burn-out for his slump down the rankings.
"Like right now everybody is like robots, and they're just crazy, crazy performance guys," the 27-year-old told journalists.
"Unfortunately, to be honest, my fall was not linked with lack of attitude and lack of practicing. It was the exact opposite. I just burned out because I was waiting for the results to come.
"You know, I never thought I could make it to the top 20. I made it to 17. Then, you know, I'm, like, okay, I have to do this and that, I have to practice harder.
"I mean, work on my diet, stop drinking, stop partying. Have to be a more professional soldier, I would say, as we are in a game."
Bublik said a trip to Las Vegas was suggested after his coach said something drastic needed to be done.
"He's like, 'Man, if you play like this, we're just going to be out of tennis, of the conversation by Wimbledon'.
"I said, 'Okay, let's go to Vegas'. We enjoy. We change the racquet. We did many things. I said, 'Okay, if it goes, it goes. If not, thank you very much, tennis'.
"And it worked!"
Asked if it was a training trip to Vegas, world number 62, Bublik replied: "No, Vegas, Vegas, like a Hangover-thing (2009 film) Vegas, yeah.
"So it was a good three days in Vegas."
Bublik said he eventually got his confidence back playing a few Challenger events, winning in Turin last March.
In Paris, the Kazakh rallied from two sets down in the second round to dispatch ninth-seeded Australian Alex de Minaur 2-6, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 on Thursday.
The Monaco-based player next plays world number five Draper who has won their two previous meetings in Adelaide last year and Queens in 2021.
"Jack for me is insane. I mean, last year the guy is 40 in the world," said Bublik.
"This year he is top 4, top 5 in the world. That's a crazy achievement. He doesn't seem to stop, so I mean, what do I have to do to beat him? I don't know.
"I will just go there, enjoy the time, show what I'm capable of showing, and we all know what I'm capable of doing on court and then we see how it goes. This is the approach I have now."
A.Magalhes--PC