-
Somali militias terrorise locals after driving out Al-Qaeda
-
Peru picks Balcazar as interim president, eighth leader in a decade
-
Australian defence firm helps Ukraine zap Russian drones
-
General strike to protest Milei's labor reforms starts in Argentina
-
Cuban opposition figure Ferrer supports Maduro-like US operation for Cuba
-
High-stakes showdown in Nepal's post-uprising polls
-
Asian markets rally after Wall St tech-led gains
-
After Greenland, Arctic island Svalbard wary of great powers
-
Veteran Slipper set for new Super Rugby landmark
-
Sudan's historic acacia forest devastated as war fuels logging
-
Deadly Indonesia floods force a deforestation reckoning
-
Australia vow to entertain in bid for Women's Asian Cup glory
-
Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards
-
Jail, disgrace and death: the dark fates of South Korean leaders
-
S. Korea court weighs death sentence for ex-president Yoon
-
MotoGP dumps Phillip Island for Adelaide street circuit
-
Trump kicks off his 'Board of Peace,' with eye on Gaza and beyond
-
Walmart results expected to highlight big plans for AI
-
Australia Olympic TV reporter apologises after slurring words
-
USA and Canada on course to meet for Olympic men's ice hockey gold
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
-
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
-
McIlroy aims to eliminate 'big numbers' in pursuit of first Riviera title
-
PM Modi, top tech bosses to address India AI summit
-
Bad Bunny to star in movie about Puerto Rico
-
Arsenal blow two-goal lead in damaging Wolves draw
-
Habib Beye appointed coach of Marseille
-
Sloppy Atletico held in six-goal Brugge thriller
-
Schick steers Leverkusen past Olympiacos in Champions League
-
Hogh stars as Bodo/Glimt down Inter in Champions League
-
Oil prices jump on toughening US posture on Iran as US stocks advance
-
Gu's exchange with AFP at Winter Olympics goes viral
-
Hamilton feeling 'connected' to new Ferrari car at test sessions
-
US lingerie magnate says was 'conned' by Epstein
-
Marner fires Canada into Olympic ice hockey semis, as Finland survive
-
Israel conducting 'gradual de facto annexation' of W.Bank: UN official
-
Alcaraz, Sinner cruise into Qatar Open quarter-finals
-
Mavs confirm Irving will miss rest of NBA season
-
Environmental groups sue Trump administration over scrapped climate rule
-
Major US naval, air buildup sets stage for potential Iran war
-
White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes
-
Gordon scores four as Newcastle hit Qarabag for six
-
French far-right leader accuses Macron, allies of strengthening hard-left after activist killed
-
Putin says Russia 'always' stands by Cuba, slams US sanctions
-
England's Joe Heyes says Princess Anne mistook him for Joe Marler
-
Marner sends Canada through to Olympic men's ice hockey semis
-
Seattle Seahawks put up for sale after Super Bowl win
-
U2 slam ICE, Putin in new 'Days of Ash' EP
-
Berlin Film Festival rejects accusation of censorship on Gaza
-
Sinner sees off Popyrin to reach Doha quarter-finals
Cristiano Ronaldo to stay at Al Nassr until 2027
Cristiano Ronaldo inked a two-year extension with Saudi Arabia's Al Nassr, the club announced Thursday, following months of speculation over which team he would sign for next season.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is staying at @AlNassrFC until 2027," the club wrote in a post on X.
Minutes before the official confirmation, the team posted a teaser video, with the 40-year-old Ronaldo walking along a beachfront and saying: "Al Nassr forever".
The Portuguese superstar arrived in 2023 in the kingdom to play with the club, heralding a rush of players in the latter stages of their careers to the oil-rich country.
Last month, Ronaldo posted "This chapter is over" hours after the Saudi Pro League wrapped up with Al Nassr finishing third and trophyless once again.
"Ronaldo's presence is a key factor in developing the Saudi league in the last two years and a half. He opens the door for elite and young players to come to Saudi Arabia," a source from the Public Investment Fund (PIF), a major investor in Saudi football, told AFP last month.
The oil-funded PIF, the sovereign wealth fund behind a number of big-ticket Saudi investments, controls a group of Pro League clubs including Al Nassr, Al Hilal and Al Ahli.
Ronaldo's announcement in May came just months after Brazilian star Neymar ended his injury-plagued 18-month stay in January, after playing just seven times for Al Hilal -- on a reported salary of around $104 million a year.
Although Ronaldo was the Pro League's top scorer with 25 goals, he has been unable to win a Saudi or continental trophy with Al Nassr, who lost in the Asian Champions League semi-finals last month.
Last year, the five-time Ballon d'Or winner said he could end his career with Al Nassr, the Riyadh team favoured by a number of Saudi royals.
Saudi Arabia has shaken up football by spending heavily on stars from Europe, starting with Ronaldo's move, and the desert nation will host the World Cup in 2034.
F.Moura--PC