-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
Dubois climbs off the canvas to become two-time world heavyweight champion
Daniel Dubois recovered from two early knockdowns to win a second world heavyweight boxing title with an 11th-round stoppage of Fabio Wardley in a brutal all-British battle in Manchester on Saturday.
Victory meant the 28-year-old deprived World Boxing Organisation champion Wardley of his belt, with Dubois having lost the International Boxing Federation version of the title to unified champion Oleksandr Usyk at Wembley in July last year.
Wardley dropped Dubois to the canvas within barely 10 seconds of the opening bell at the Co-Op Live arena.
And in the third round Wardley, making his maiden title defence, landed a huge overhand right on Dubois, who took a knee before beating the count again.
But from then on Dubois connected with a series of crushing blows to leave Wardley's face a bloody mess and referee Howard Foster could easily have stopped the fight long before the 11th round of a scheduled 12.
Dubois, who now has a professional record of 23 wins and three defeats, with 21 knockouts, had been angered by an apparently casual comment made by Wardley in a pre-fight interview.
Wardley (21-0-1,19 KOs) said Dubois would be a "bin man" if the London heavyweight was not a boxer.
That led Dubois to respond by saying: "Well, I am going to take out the trash. I am the dustman, he is the trash, mate. I'll take out the trash."
- 'Great warrior' -
Yet he was full of respect for Wardley following Saturday's gruelling bout, with Dubois telling broadcaster DAZN: "It was a war, we went through the sticky moments. Thank you Fabio for that, thank you. I know I've got heart, bundles of heart. I'm a warrior in there."
Dubois added: "I had to pull it out the bag and rely on it and use all of my skills. What a great fight, what a great battle. But, I'm number one again.
"He (Wardley) is a durable guy, durable warrior, great warrior. Thank you for a great fight, man. It was an honour to be in the ring with you," he said before veteran promoter Frank Warren confirmed there was a rematch clause in the contract.
Dubois desperately needed a victory following a crushing defeat by Usyk -- a loss made worse after a video surfaced showing a reported "gathering" at his house just hours before the bout.
Yet it was Wardley who started the stronger.
It was far from one-way traffic, however, with Dubois drawing audible gasps from the crowd when he rocked Wardley with a colossal right in the fourth round only for the champion to demonstrate a granite chin.
But such was the onslaught from Dubois that by the sixth round Wardley's face was covered in blood from a cut to his nose, which caused the referee's shirt to turn red as well.
But the gutsy Wardley, 31, somehow made it to the end of the round and in the seventh he took more punishment from Dubois.
By the ninth round, Wardley could barely see out of his right eye and his head was swollen, yet still the fight continued.
It seemed only a matter of time before the bout was stopped, with Wardley's face a grotesque sight, yet his corner still refused to pull him out and Foster let him box on before belatedly calling a halt to the contest.
G.Machado--PC