-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
London police probe 'terror' incident after two Jewish men stabbed
UK police were Wednesday investigating the stabbings of two Jewish men in north London as a "terrorist incident", the knifing following a series of arson attacks targeting Jewish sites.
King Charles III and Prime Minister Keir Starmer led the condemnation of the "appalling" late morning assaults in Golders Green, home to a large Jewish population.
Police said a 45-year-old man had been arrested after having also tried to stab officers. The two victims -- aged 76 and 34 -- were in a stable condition in hospital.
Speaking from the scene and facing shouts of "Shame on You" from a few hecklers, Metropolitan police commissioner Mark Rowley said the suspect had "a history of serious violence and mental health issues".
A little-known group believed to be linked to Iran, and which has claimed responsibility for the London arson attacks, said one of its "lone wolves" was behind the stabbings, the SITE Intelligence Group reported.
Harakat Ashab al-Yamin al-Islamiya (HAYI) -- meaning The Islamic Movement of the People of the Right Hand -- made the uncorroborated claim in a video posted online, according to SITE.
- Urgent government meeting -
Local resident Moshie, 20, said he had been "shocked" by the incident.
It feels like the violence was "escalating," he told AFP. "Whenever I look around I have one thing in mind. Does this person have a knife? That's our life now."
Starmer convened an emergency meeting of senior ministers and officials, telling broadcasters later he would meet Thursday with "criminal justice agencies to make sure that we have effective and swift justice in these cases".
"The government is taking action in relation to security, cohesion, extremism," he added.
"But of course it's our responsibility to co-ordinate the immediate response here to this appalling attack, to ensure security is in place."
- 'Horrific attack' -
King Charles III, who is on a state visit to the United States, said he was "deeply concerned" in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace.
The stabbings follow a spate of arson attacks on synagogues and other Jewish sites in north London in recent weeks that have heightened security fears.
"After attacks on synagogues, Jewish institutions, community ambulances and now Jews targeted in Golders Green, the UK government can no longer claim this is under control," Israel's foreign ministry said on X.
Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor, head of UK Counter Terrorism Policing, said the stabbings had been declared "a terrorist incident".
He noted his officers and the capital's Metropolitan police were "working with the security services to ensure we have a full intelligence picture".
The incident unfolded shortly after 11:00 am (1000 GMT), when the Shomrim Jewish neighbourhood watch group first reported that a knife-wielding man was "attempting to stab Jewish members of the public".
Shomrim members helped detain the suspect before police arrived and subdued him using an electroshock weapon. The response of the Jewish volunteers' earned widespread praise.
The victims were also treated at the scene by Hatzola, a Jewish volunteer ambulance service.
The stabbings follow a deadly assault on a synagogue in Manchester last October on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur that killed two people and seriously injured three.
- 'Intolerable' -
"Why do we have to live in fear? We're doing our best to live our lives as normal as possible, but every day is a struggle," Shomrim volunteer Stephen Bak told AFP Wednesday.
Ephraim Mirvis, Britain's chief rabbi, said the community was "strong" and "resilient" but "such attacks need to stop now".
"Zero tolerance -- that's what our community wants," he told reporters.
The first London attack in late March saw four ambulances belonging to Hatzola set ablaze.
Other incidents have followed, including an attack on the Kenton United Synagogue in Harrow as well as the premises of a Jewish charity.
Last week, the Finchley Reform Synagogue was targeted.
Police have arrested 28 people in total over the various attacks -- including Wednesday's -- launched since the start of the US-Iran war on Iran on February 28.
Monitoring groups have reported a surge in antisemitic and Islamophobic incidents in Britain, particularly since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.
F.Carias--PC