-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
Japan PM says blocked US Steel deal could hit investments
Japan's prime minister on Monday urged Washington to dispel concerns that a decision by Joe Biden to block Nippon Steel's takeover of US Steel could impact future investments.
The US President's announcement last week cited a strategic need to protect domestic industry, a move that drew sharp criticism from both companies and Tokyo.
A US government panel had failed to reach consensus on whether the $14.9 billion acquisition threatened national security, shifting the decision to Biden in the waning days of his presidency.
Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba said the veteran Democrat's decision had sparked worries over future Japanese investments in the world's largest economy.
"It is unfortunately true that there are concerns being raised within Japan's industrial world over future Japan-US investment," Ishiba told reporters.
"It's something we have to take seriously."
Japan and the United States are each other's top foreign investors.
"It would be inappropriate for the Japanese government to comment on the management of an individual company that was under review as per US domestic law... but we will strongly call on the US government to take steps to dispel these concerns," said Ishiba.
"They need to be able to explain clearly why there is a national security concern, or else further discussions on the matter will not work," he added.
- 'Bold action' -
Nippon Steel reportedly plans to hold a news conference on Tuesday, when US Secretary of State Antony Blinken will also be visiting Japan following a trip to South Korea.
Biden's decision followed extended wrangling over competing domestic political, economic and trade demands.
The outgoing president -- who made the rebuilding of the US manufacturing base a major goal of his administration -- had criticised the deal for months, while holding off on a move that could hurt ties with Tokyo.
"This acquisition would place one of America's largest steel producers under foreign control and create risk for our national security and our critical supply chains," Biden said on Friday.
The United Steelworkers union welcomed the announcement, describing it as "bold action to maintain a strong domestic steel industry".
But Nippon Steel and US Steel said the outcome reflected "a clear violation of due process and the law" and Japan's industry minister described it as "incomprehensible".
Nippon Steel had touted the takeover as a lifeline for a US company that is long past its heyday, but opponents warned that the Japanese owners would slash jobs.
- 'Chilling effect' -
The decision to block the deal enjoyed rare bipartisan agreement. Republican President-elect Donald Trump and his incoming vice president had also campaigned against the sale.
But the US Chamber of Commerce noted that investment from the country's "important and reliable ally" Japan supports nearly one million American jobs.
"The decision also could have a chilling effect on international investment in America," it warned.
Even without the US Steel acquisition, Nippon Steel should still be able to meet its mid-term annual production targets, said SBI Securities analyst Ryunosuke Shibata.
"Nippon Steel may have other opportunities in the future to buy a US firm" or to invest in the United States to have a production base there, Shibata told AFP.
"There won't be a significant change in Nippon Steel's growth strategy of investing in the United States and continuing to build up production capacity in India."
Keizai Doyukai, one of Japan's three major business groups, noted that protectionist trade policies were likely to heighten under the Trump administration.
"In areas related to economic security, we should strengthen cooperation with like-minded countries such as South Korea, Australia, the Philippines, and India, so as not to become completely dependent on the United States," it said.
P.Sousa--PC