-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
Leaky, crowded and hot: Louvre boss slams her own museum
The head of the Louvre in Paris has warned the government about leaks, overcrowding and sub-standard catering in a confidential note that has raised alarm about the state of the world's most-visited museum.
Laurence des Cars, the first woman head of the French landmark, wrote a memo about her concerns to Culture Minister Rachida Dati earlier this month which was published on Thursday in Le Parisien newspaper.
She warned about the "proliferation of damage in museum spaces, some of which are in very poor condition."
Furthermore, some areas "are no longer watertight, while others experience significant temperature variations, endangering the preservation of artworks," she added.
Despite the French government's budget problems and the imminent closure of the Pompidou museum for renovations, des Cars said the Louvre required an overhaul that would likely be costly and technically complicated.
A total of 8.7 million people visited its famed galleries last year -- around twice the number it was designed for -- and des Cars expressed concern about the quality of the user experience.
The Louvre's popularity was causing a "physical strain" on the historic building, while visitors lack spaces "to take a break," she wrote.
"The food options and restroom facilities are insufficient in volume, falling well below international standards. The signage needs a complete redesign," the memo continued.
Even the museum's most modern addition -- a glass pyramid designed by Chinese-American architect Ieoh Ming Pei and inaugurated in 1989 -- comes in for severe criticism because of its "major shortcomings."
It was used by President Emmanuel Macron for a state dinner ahead of the opening of the Paris Olympics last July, but des Cars said it acted like a greenhouse on hot days and became "very inhospitable" as well as being noisy.
- 'Saturation' -
Like other major European cities, Paris has seen international tourism rebound strongly after the Covid pandemic of 2020-2021.
Around 70 percent of visitors to the Louvre last year were foreigners.
Tourists have long complained about the queues to view the Mona Lisa, which is the most popular attraction in the museum and displayed in its largest room.
The memo stressed the need to "reassess" how Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece is presented to the public, with des Cars saying last year that it needed its own dedicated room.
Since taking over as boss of the institution in 2021, des Cars has spoken out publically about the museum reaching "saturation point."
One of her first major measures was to impose a cap on visitors of 30,000 per day and extend opening hours.
She has also backed an idea to create a second entrance other than the pyramid to "irrigate" the rest of the museum.
The modern art Pompidou museum, originally opened in 1977, is closing for a 262-million-euro ($272 million), five-year refit from September 2025.
X.Matos--PC