-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
-
Records for Asher-Smith, Hunt as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round
-
Barcelona reach deal with Man City to sign Rodri
-
Amy Hunt bags fourth Euro gold as Britain win 4x100m mixed relay
-
Misery for Maresca as Man City make dismal start to life after Guardiola
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire: regional leader
-
Strikes kill 19 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Belgium's Pocognoli appointed new Scotland manager
-
Lula and Bolsonaro court women voters as Brazil election campaign kicks off
-
Marchand storms to second gold of European championships
-
Belgium races to tame huge wildfire creeping towards Germany
-
Kushner meets with Hamas in push to revive Gaza plan
-
Two dead, hundreds evacuated from fires on island near Athens
-
Villarreal battle back to earn draw at promoted Racing
-
Real Madrid crush Schalke in friendly as Diomande debuts
-
Odegaard says Arsenal 'want to win everything' after Community Shield success
-
Calls for UK inquiry into 'hounding' of ex-Cambridge academic
-
Arsenal rout Man City in Community Shield masterclass
-
Strikes kill 16 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Southampton mocked over Spygate during Watford defeat
-
Marchand tries for European swim gold in unfamiliar event
-
Hamas expects meeting with Kushner as US pushes Gaza plan
-
India's Padikkal steals the show with 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Farmers, helicopters help battle record Belgian wildfire
-
Hollywood duo underline Premier League ambition for Wrexham
-
Air support kicks in as record Belgian wildfire jumps in size
-
India's Padikkal makes 167 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
Firefighters battle second day of blaze on Greek island
-
Hurricane Lala pulls away from Hawaii's Big Island
-
Strikes kill 12 in Russia and Ukraine
-
Petros, Vainio set new championship records to win Euro marathons
-
India's Sindhu backs monkey measures as badminton worlds set to open
-
Hurricane Lala brushes past Hawaii's Big Island, bringing heavy rain
-
Mass drone attack on Moscow as Russian strikes kill three in Ukraine
-
'Something we dreamed of': Bangladesh celebrates historic cricket win
-
Djokovic feels the heat in Cincinnati defeat, Zverev wins all-nighter
-
Rain holds up India on day two of Sri Lanka Test
-
Pallister stuns Ledecky in Pan Pacs 800m free as two world records carry Douglass to gold
Japan's Honda and Nissan scrap merger talks
Japanese auto giants Honda and Nissan confirmed on Thursday they had scrapped merger talks that would have created the world's third-largest automaker by unit sales.
The bid to join forces had been seen as an effort to catch up with US titan Tesla and Chinese firms in the electric vehicle market, as well as providing a lifeline to struggling Nissan.
The firms said in a joint statement that they "agreed to terminate the MOU (memorandum of understanding) signed on December 23 last year for consideration of a business integration between the two companies".
"That the both companies were not able to reach an agreement is very regrettable," Honda's CEO and president Toshihiro Mibe told reporters.
Mibe insisted in December that any merger would not be a bailout for Nissan, which announced last year thousands of job cuts after reporting a 93 percent plunge in first-half net profit.
Further illustrating its problems, Nissan said on Thursday that it was now expecting an annual loss of $518 million owing to slumping sales.
Japanese media reports have said the discussions unravelled after Honda proposed making its struggling rival a subsidiary instead of the plan, announced in December, to integrate under a new holding company.
The automakers confirmed in the joint statement that Honda "proposed changing the structure from establishing a joint holding company... to a structure where Honda would be the parent company and Nissan the subsidiary through a share exchange".
Under a joint board, "the decision-making speed may slow when a tough decision is required," Mibe said.
Nissan's CEO Makoto Uchida said "given the performance of the company, there is a difficulty to stand alone" and Honda's proposal was "carefully discussed".
But, he said, "We could not accept this proposal as we were not sure how much our autonomy would be kept and if Nissan's potential would be maximised" under the proposal.
- Partnership -
The automakers, however, will continue to seek "synergy effects" through a strategic partnership announced in August last year that also includes Nissan's junior partner Mitsubishi Motors, Mibe said.
Within the partnership agreement, the companies will collaborate to thrive in "the era of intelligence and electrified vehicles, striving to create new value and maximise the corporate value of both companies", the joint statement said.
The cancellation of the merger talks would have no impact on the earnings of both automakers, it said.
Following the announcement, French automaker Renault, which holds about 35 percent of shares in Nissan, said it welcomed "Nissan's intention to focus first and foremost on the execution of its turnaround plan".
It said it would "continue to support Nissan in its ongoing projects."
The head of Taiwanese tech giant Foxconn said this week it was open to buying Renault's stake in Nissan after reports last year said it had made an approach for the company.
Analysts have said both firms will need to seek alternative partners in the long term, to strengthen competitiveness in the technology race, and Foxconn could be an option.
- Nissan loss -
Nissan said Thursday it expected a net loss of 80 billion yen ($520 million) for the 12 months to March, sharply down from 426.6 billion yen profit achieved in the previous year.
Honda separately reported a net profit of 805.3 billion yen for the nine months to December.
This was a 7.4 percent decline on-year chiefly due to a decline in sales in China, even though overall sales increased 8.9 percent to 16.3 trillion yen.
Honda made a slight change in its sales forecast for the full year to March, to 21.6 trillion yen from 21.0 trillion yen in the previous estimate, but kept its operating and net profit forecasts at 1.42 trillion yen and 950 billion yen, respectively.
T.Batista--PC