-
Congolese rumba, music caught between neglect and nostalgia
-
'Close our eyes': To escape war, Muscovites flock to high culture
-
Denmark king visits Greenland
-
Uncut gems: Indian startups embrace AI despite job fears
-
Ukraine war talks to resume in Geneva as US signals progress
-
Harrop eyes 'Skimo' gold in sport's Olympic debut
-
Junk to high-tech: India bets on e-waste for critical minerals
-
Struggling farmers find hope in India co-operative
-
How Latin American countries are responding to Cuba's oil crisis
-
Philippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential run
-
Asian stocks up, oil market cautious
-
Peru Congress impeaches interim president after four months in office
-
Hungry, wounded, orphaned: South Sudan's children trapped in new conflict
-
UK manufacturers struggle under sky-high energy bills
-
New tech and AI set to take athlete data business to next level
-
'Pay or he dies', families told as more Egyptians risk Mediterranean crossing
-
Indonesia coal plant closure U-turn sows energy transition doubts
-
Ukraine war talks to resume in Geneva with no sign of progress
-
Afghan woman's boutique brightens Bamiyan
-
Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial
-
US towns resist Trump plans to jail immigrants in warehouses
-
Ten skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Guatemalan security forces deploy to gang-plagued capital
-
US to discuss base with Mauritius as UK returns islands
-
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
-
Bowlers, selectors under fire after Australia's T20 World Cup exit
-
Racism allegations overshadow Real Madrid victory as PSG win in Champions League
-
Japan's Nakai shines on ice as Frostad soars to Olympic big air gold
-
Japanese teen Nakai leads Sakamoto after Olympic women's short programme
-
Sweden to face USA in Olympic men's ice hockey quarter-finals
-
Alexander-Arnold hits out at 'disgusting' alleged Vinicius racism
-
Bird flu ravaging Antarctic wildlife, scientist warns
-
Nakai leads Sakamoto in Olympics after women's short programme
-
Guirassy guides Dortmund past Atalanta in Champions League play-offs
-
Vinicius stunner helps Real Madrid edge Benfica in play-off marred by alleged racism
-
Doue inspires PSG to comeback Champions League win in Monaco
-
'Climate cult' hurts Europe's economy, US energy secretary tells AFP
-
Peru's presidential musical chairs
-
France arrests nine over far-right activist's killing
-
France arrests seven over far-right activist's killing
-
Frostad dethrones Ruud in Olympic freeski big air thriller
-
Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in Champions League play-off 1st leg
-
Woods return timeline uncertain, but won't rule out Masters
-
Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival 'silence' on Gaza
-
Iran, Ukraine talks spark diplomatic merry-go-round in Geneva
-
Canada launches huge defence plan to curb reliance on US
-
US says will match alleged Chinese low-yield nuclear tests
-
Alcaraz battles into second round of Qatar Open
-
Russians, Belarusians to compete under own flags at Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims
Sabalenka storms into Wimbledon quarters as Alcaraz braces for Rublev test
Aryna Sabalenka overcame a battling Elise Mertens to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Sunday as Carlos Alcaraz geared up for a tricky test against volatile Russian Andrey Rublev.
World number one Sabalenka has yet to drop a set in four rounds at the All England Club as every other top six seed has fallen, but was given a tough workout by Belgian world number 23 Mertens.
The Belarusian came through 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) against her former doubles partner under the closed roof on Centre Court to set up a clash against Germany's Laura Siegemund.
The three-time Grand Slam champion is making up for lost time after missing last year's Wimbledon due to a shoulder injury. She was excluded in 2022 as part of a blanket ban on Russian and Belarusian athletes.
"With your support guys I think everything is possible," said Sabalenka, who has never been beyond the semi-finals at the All England Club. "I don't know. It's such a beautiful tournament.
"I always dreamed of winning it. Every time I'm here I'm trying to give my best and really hope for the best."
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova also progressed at the expense of Britain's Sonay Kartal, but had to mentally reset after a bizarre electronic line-calling failure.
At 4-4 in the first set, Pavlyuchenkova held game point when a Kartal backhand landed clearly over the baseline but no call came and the umpire ordered the point be replayed.
Kartal went on to break for a 5-4 lead.
Pavlyuchenkova angrily made her case to the umpire, saying: "They stole the game from me, they stole it". But she broke back and won the tie-break, which proved a launchpad for a 7-6 (7/3), 6-4 victory.
The technology glitch in the fourth-round match follows concerns raised by other players.
The All England Club released a brief statement on the incident.
"Due to operator error the system was deactivated on the point in question," said an spokesman. "The chair umpire followed the established process."
- Alcaraz seeks top gear -
Defending men's champion Alcaraz, 22, has not hit top gear at this year's championships, dropping three sets in his three matches.
In contrast, his two main rivals -- top seed Jannik Sinner and seven-time champion Novak Djokovic -- have glided through the draw to reach the fourth round.
But Rublev, who has never been beyond the quarter-finals at a Grand Slam, knows he will have to be at the top of his game to stand a chance against the world number two, who has won 32 of his 35 grass-court matches.
"You cannot show any weaknesses," said Rublev on the challenge of facing Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in last month's French Open final.
Rublev, the 14th seed, has already enjoyed a much happier time at Wimbledon than 12 months ago when he repeatedly smashed his racquet over his own leg during a shock first-round exit.
He has credited the influence of two-time Grand Slam champion Marat Safin, himself a notorious hothead in his prime, for bringing some calm to his game.
"There are two options," he said. "Try to go deeper. Or, if I lose, to lose it in a mature, adult way.
"That would be success as well, to lose it in the right way."
Russia's Karen Khachanov was the first winner of the day, brushing aside Polish player Kamil Majchrzak 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 on Court Two.
He will face US fifth seed Taylor Fritz, who was only on court for 41 minutes before Australia's Jordan Thompson retired injured, trailing 6-1, 3-0.
America's Fritz faced gruelling five-set battles in his opening two matches but it was a different story in his fourth-round encounter on Court One.
The Eastbourne champion broke Thompson twice to seal the first set in just 21 minutes and led 3-0 in the second set when the Australian decided he could not go on, due to an apparent thigh injury.
C.Amaral--PC