-
Congolese rumba, music caught between neglect and nostalgia
-
'Close our eyes': To escape war, Muscovites flock to high culture
-
Denmark king visits Greenland
-
Uncut gems: Indian startups embrace AI despite job fears
-
Ukraine war talks to resume in Geneva as US signals progress
-
Harrop eyes 'Skimo' gold in sport's Olympic debut
-
Junk to high-tech: India bets on e-waste for critical minerals
-
Struggling farmers find hope in India co-operative
-
How Latin American countries are responding to Cuba's oil crisis
-
Philippines VP Sara Duterte announces 2028 presidential run
-
Asian stocks up, oil market cautious
-
Peru Congress impeaches interim president after four months in office
-
Hungry, wounded, orphaned: South Sudan's children trapped in new conflict
-
UK manufacturers struggle under sky-high energy bills
-
New tech and AI set to take athlete data business to next level
-
'Pay or he dies', families told as more Egyptians risk Mediterranean crossing
-
Indonesia coal plant closure U-turn sows energy transition doubts
-
Ukraine war talks to resume in Geneva with no sign of progress
-
Afghan woman's boutique brightens Bamiyan
-
Zuckerberg to testify in landmark social media addiction trial
-
US towns resist Trump plans to jail immigrants in warehouses
-
Ten skiers missing in California avalanche
-
Guatemalan security forces deploy to gang-plagued capital
-
US to discuss base with Mauritius as UK returns islands
-
Mexico prepares for possible drone threats during the World Cup
-
Bowlers, selectors under fire after Australia's T20 World Cup exit
-
Racism allegations overshadow Real Madrid victory as PSG win in Champions League
-
Japan's Nakai shines on ice as Frostad soars to Olympic big air gold
-
Japanese teen Nakai leads Sakamoto after Olympic women's short programme
-
Sweden to face USA in Olympic men's ice hockey quarter-finals
-
Alexander-Arnold hits out at 'disgusting' alleged Vinicius racism
-
Bird flu ravaging Antarctic wildlife, scientist warns
-
Nakai leads Sakamoto in Olympics after women's short programme
-
Guirassy guides Dortmund past Atalanta in Champions League play-offs
-
Vinicius stunner helps Real Madrid edge Benfica in play-off marred by alleged racism
-
Doue inspires PSG to comeback Champions League win in Monaco
-
'Climate cult' hurts Europe's economy, US energy secretary tells AFP
-
Peru's presidential musical chairs
-
France arrests nine over far-right activist's killing
-
France arrests seven over far-right activist's killing
-
Frostad dethrones Ruud in Olympic freeski big air thriller
-
Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in Champions League play-off 1st leg
-
Woods return timeline uncertain, but won't rule out Masters
-
Dozens of film figures condemn Berlin Film Festival 'silence' on Gaza
-
Iran, Ukraine talks spark diplomatic merry-go-round in Geneva
-
Canada launches huge defence plan to curb reliance on US
-
US says will match alleged Chinese low-yield nuclear tests
-
Alcaraz battles into second round of Qatar Open
-
Russians, Belarusians to compete under own flags at Paralympics: IPC tells AFP
-
Bayer proposes class settlement for weedkiller cancer claims
Alcaraz survives Rublev test to stay on course for Wimbledon hat-trick
Carlos Alcaraz again tested the nerves of his legions of fans on Sunday before dismissing Andrey Rublev to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals and stay on track for a third straight title.
The Spaniard lost the first set to the Russian 14th seed under the Centre Court roof but found his feet to win 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4, roared on by a partisan crowd.
While Alcaraz's main rivals, seven-time winner Novak Djokovic and world number one Jannik Sinner, are in ominous form, the second seed has blown hot and cold so far.
It was the same story on Sunday as he struggled to find his rhythm early in the match, despite occasional flashes of brilliance, before raising his level.
Rublev took the first set on a tie-break but Alcaraz engineered a break in the eighth game of the second set and served out to level the match.
The Russian matched his opponent blow for blow in the third set but squandered chances and Alcaraz brought the crowd to its feet with a sensational forehand winner to force a break, sealing the set with an audacious drop shot.
The writing was on the wall when Rublev lost his serve in the fifth game of the fourth set and Alcaraz made no mistake.
The Spaniard was taken to five sets by veteran Italian Fabio Fognini in his opening match and also dropped a set against journeyman Jan-Lennard Struff in the third round.
Sinner, by contrast, has not dropped a single set, losing just 17 games on his way to the fourth round, and Djokovic was in imperious form in dispatching Serbian Davis Cup teammate Miomir Kecmanovic.
Alcaraz and Sinner are the undisputed top dogs of men's tennis, sharing the past six Grand Slams between them as the era of the "Big Three" fades.
But the 22-year-old has the edge on grass, winning 33 of his 36 Tour-level matches on the surface.
The five-time Grand Slam winner's last defeat at Wimbledon came against Sinner in the fourth round in 2022 and he is on a career-best 22-match winning run since April.
Having vanquished Djokovic in the past two Wimbledon finals, Alcaraz is looking to join an elite group of Wimbledon icons.
He hopes to become the fifth man in the Open era to win at least three consecutive Wimbledon titles after Bjorn Borg, Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and seven-time champion Djokovic.
J.Pereira--PC